News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Looking for someone to take over!

Started by webrunner, November 02, 2008, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

I have tried several times to get paid memberships. The module is already installed and can be used. I turned it of because after 2 years i didn't have one single donation. In the past people used to donate a few bucks every now and then (nor nearly enough for the hosting though) but that is not the case anymore. I guess people expect that we all put in our money and effort for free.

That is the reason why i started putting ads on the site. They make up for a small part of the hosting costs and i have put up some links.
Removing those will remove any income.

I can hand-over the complete website and database. heck, i will even install the complete website.
taking over the hosting package is not an option, it is now on a dedicated server that hosts one other site (that i am also getting rid of :( )

Tomawaky: i always like to look at the numbers in stead of looking what i do: 60% of the non-english speakers use the spell checker.
I think it is imparitive for an international community.
Please stop telling everyone that it can be hosted for Free: it can't (!!!) and also i won't let it happen too.
Free hostings are slow with complex queries on databases and the forum is getting heavier every month. This will result in a sluggish site that will get slower and slower. Believe me : i know what i'm talking about.

So about the money: a virtual or dedicated server is the best way to do it. If you have a really stable and fast internet connection (especially an fast upload) you could host ity on a linux server at home. The power will cost you some money per year for the server.

I am willing to help anyone get up to speed for a short while and i also will remain admin as a backup.
But i prefer someone that has some experience (since time is the main reason to stop with this site).

As a matter of fact someone else maybe offered to host the site already. That person is willing to do the tech hosting part but not the site maintenance, management and moderation. So if someone is interested in that let me know.

And... thanks Spielberg :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

stog

hi thx web for all your efforts - if you do not get any other offers i would be willing to take it on - as it is (same moderators etc). i have 4 boards and forums for my own work and serverspace in uk and usa
just tested an installation and all seems fine

best wishes

Kari_Grandi

Stog sure would be a great admin!

Thanks to webbie also for all the great work, he's done. Fibs became more great place to be since fibsboard came to back it up.

webrunner

Hi Stog,
Thanks for your kind offer, i will look in to it.
Did you also try the spellchecker implementation?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

stog

hey yes - enabled and it werks! could have been weeks or woiks!!
:)

just finished testing out a conversion from one of my forums ( a php bb) and all data transferred well.
we could upload total from a zip file - what kinda of size is it  - incl all history and photos etc?

(and what is its growth in mbs a year on average)i read somewhere on the board that you had a 2mb limit on attachments and that there was a downloads section?

webrunner

That sounds great.
I am using smf 1.1.7. together with TinyPortal. The Tiny Portal need to be upgraded.
You could trying to upgrade to SMF 2.x. It is in Beta but pretty stable already.

The attachment directory is about 200 megs according to SMF.

Could you give us an insight on what your plans are for the site?
Are you thinking af any changes or improvements or do you just want to keep it as it is?

What about banners, payed membership, etc?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

stog

i should like to continue as you have - with the same level of ads to contribute to costs, but no paid subs..I would basically upload "as is" and monitor. i would rather keep  to the stable release (but will test out the beta - when i have the time). if tiny portal is the theme used, then i would keep that for  now (which is the theme/ file i need to upgrade-is it only for the beta 2 release?). My feeling is the forum is just fine and that any mods i make will be gradual, as i think, it would be best to just "get to know a good routine with it"

(i have already tested a smf installation and migrated a database to it - you have the link don't you?)

we could set up a mirrored site this week if you like and see how it performs. (if you want  you could upload a .zip of the"folder" and a backup of the database, which i can then restore to a new installation +any mods or themes you have added) to my guest ftp directory, (i'll send you details in email)

webrunner

Tiny Portal is not a theme, it is a portal system that connects to SMF.

As i mentioned i have another option that i want to explore, the choice is difficult.
I'll comne back to you as soon as possible, this week at the latest.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

stog

ok - i see that tiny is a panel mod.(which has a beta upgrade available)

You should have received my emails and can see a working smf.board. Contact me when you have made your decision.

regards stog