News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

GUSSSSS RANT

Started by akamaya, June 03, 2009, 05:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akamaya

another *rick come along...

You kibitz: Hi!
Gusssss kibitzes: hello
Gusssss kibitzes: fucking fibs dice
Gusssss kibitzes: lol
Gusssss kibitzes: what a load of fucking sh** I have had here
Gusssss kibitzes: greameat g
Gusssss kibitzes: great game
Gusssss kibitzes: game like this one make me sick of fibs
Gusssss kibitzes: stupid rolls
Gusssss kibitzes: doyou have any other nicks on this site?
You kibitz: no
Gusssss kibitzes: well?
Gusssss kibitzes: some people play as hustlers with multi nicks
Gusssss kibitzes: I do not know why you are only at 1520
You kibitz: why wonder about 1520?
Gusssss kibitzes: your play
You kibitz: i play how...?
Gusssss kibitzes: but then with rolls lke this you cannot lose
Gusssss kibitzes: the double hit and the cube were not a 1520 player
You kibitz: i'm not much into analyzing these things.
Gusssss kibitzes: but I am just being screwed by the rolls
Gusssss kibitzes: lol
Gusssss kibitzes: ever single blot is hit
Gusssss kibitzes: 16
Gusssss kibitzes: great
Gusssss kibitzes: give me something I can use
Gusssss kibitzes: I may as well just give up
Gusssss kibitzes: ha
Gusssss kibitzes: abysmal
Gusssss kibitzes: this really is fucking sh**
Gusssss kibitzes: #### off fibs
Gusssss kibitzes: #### you
Gusssss kibitzes: ridiculous rolls
Gusssss kibitzes: that was a 1 point table
Gusssss kibitzes: and you have fucking closed me out with a fluke
Gusssss kibitzes: fck this
Gusssss kibitzes: fibs is a fucking joke
Gusssss kibitzes: what a waste of tme that was
Gusssss kibitzes: one side gets all the dice
Gusssss kibitzes: thanks for nothing
Gusssss kibitzes: come back when your rating matches your dice

dorbel

A below average Gussssssrant. he really should be better than this with his experience.

garp_02

I had a very similar experience with GUSSSSS - needless to say he's now on Villains list.

KDP

well i dont feel so bad now. ;)

akamaya

here's another one weird encounter...

but i am not in the business of dissing people so i replaced the name. something about the doubling cube bothers this player...

You kibitz: Hi!
NAmelessPlayer kibitzes: Hi! Lets have fun. Don't drop, let me resign the game.
You kibitz: i've  always wanted to ask...what advantage you get from resigning versus enduring a drop?

[long pause; no answer; then on the 3rd game of 5, i doubled]

NAmelessPlayer  says: why spoil a game by playing a double
You kibitz: sorry, i don't understand?

NAmelessPlayer  says: what country are u from?

You kibitz: how do i spoil the game...please enligthen me.

NAmelessPlayer  says: doubles are for cowards and loosers

You kibitz: i think the doubling cube is what sets the game apart from any other game. i don't see the problem. please continue.

NAmelessPlayer  says: I didn't play the doubles in previous games, just want to enjoy the excitment and surprise in the game

NAmelessPlayer  says: if you just play for points you can have them

You kibitz: well, ok. i will take them.

NAmelessPlayer  says: Thanks, it was great to play you

vikingblood80

Mostly greek and turkish players dont like the cube cause its not a part of their game. (called Tavla and Shesh Besh as far as I know). So playing on Internet on several servers you an encounter many players really refusing the cube..so its nothing new to me. But then they should not tell the others that they are playing BACKGAMMON cause Backgammon is a all about the cube and FIBS of course is all about backgammon.

On FIBS this did not happen to me before.
Vikings had more fun at work

akamaya

see, i now look at the doubling issue differently. i just needed to be informed. thanks, viking.

i agree though. the cube is the game.

nasdaq should have a doubling cube.

vikingblood80

you're welcome...

if you consider the age of the game beeing some 1000 years old the cube from 20th century is a brand-new thing. its really a cultural thing cause they played it for a really long time without cube. those players like the action going on and swings of luck. with the cube you can reduce it significantly.I think that was meant by "spoil the game".

The playing strength on FIBS is very high. On servers with weaker strength I encountered also german players who did not like to cube cause they thought its unfair to cube when in front....well I do not know who told them this fairy tale but alltogether its just because the do not get the sense of using the cube

blitzxz

Quote from: vikingblood80 on June 10, 2009, 12:14:37 AM
those players like the action going on and swings of luck. with the cube you can reduce it significantly.I think that was meant by "spoil the game".

This is interesting comment because I think it's just the opposite. Cube can reduce variance but only if the other player can't handle the cube at all. However if both are equal with cube it will hugely increace luck both in money play and matches. Matches will become shorter so more luck is involved and in money play there will be some huge games which can decide the whole score of the evening. And I also think that the cube was invented because of it's gambling ability not to reduce luck.

stog

i was always taught that the cube was so you rarely had to finish a game!

lewscannon

Quote from: vikingblood80 on June 10, 2009, 12:14:37 AM

if you consider the age of the game being some 1000 years old the cube from 20th century is a brand-new thing

The doubling cube is a relatively new addition to the game? That's interesting. (not meant facetiously)

diane

Quote from: lewscannon on June 10, 2009, 04:20:18 PM
The doubling cube is a relatively new addition to the game? That's interesting. (not meant facetiously)

Very definitely - given that there are variants of this game to be found across the ages, even a game of 30 squares played in Ancient Egypt, the doubling cube is very new.

It is pretty certain it started being used in the 1920s and came from New York, but not entirely clear who thought it up.

I came across this page whilst having a look for that recently - and whilst I am not at all sure I am convinced, it makes interesting reading  ;)

http://www.backgame.com/who-invented-backgammon-doubling-cube-.html
Never give up on the things that make you smile

playBunny

There was apparently a bet multiplier in use centuries before though it was incremental rather than a doubler.

Hardy's Pages: History of Backgammon, 1660s

ah_clem

Quote from: akamaya on June 08, 2009, 09:03:50 PM

NAmelessPlayer  says: why spoil a game by playing a double

Why spoil a game by hitting a blot?

Why spoil a game by making the five point?

Why spoil a game by establishing a prime?

Why spoil a game by making points in your homeboard?

Why spoil a game by leaving a checker deep when behind in the race?

It seems that there are endless ways to spoil a game.  Much better to play poorly and let the other guy win...

NIHILIST

How would your opponent win without spoiling the game by hitting blots, making points, and turning the cube ?

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

vikingblood80

Quote from: NIHILIST on June 11, 2009, 06:21:05 PM
How would your opponent win without spoiling the game by hitting blots, making points, and turning the cube ?

Bob

Simply run but that's not the question.

Really some players hate refusing cubes cause the game ends with the drop they want to see the development until the end and hope that they can still win.

So may be in UK and US its pretty normal to play with cube. In Greek and Turkey and may be more countries its pretty normal to play without. Its a (totally) different game then. The cube is part of the official tournament rules.I wished BG was more popular in Germany.Whenever I ask people in Germany if they can play BG most of the time the answer I get is: "Well that's game with the tongues (in German language the points are often called "Zungen"=tongues)? No I don't know the rules." And if people tell me "Yes, I know the rules." Then my second question is if they know about the cube...then I get: " The cube  WHAAAAT'S THAT?"

lewscannon

Quote from: vikingblood80 on June 12, 2009, 10:02:57 AM

Really some players hate refusing cubes cause the game ends with the drop they want to see the development until the end and hope that they can still win.

In that case they shouldn't mind if the value of the game doubles, because all they want to see is what would happen if it played out.

dorbel

of course playing one point matches does away with the cube, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, three point matches without the cube are very exciting and very skilful. You just have to establish who will agree to play them before you invite. I like them!