News:

new annotated match....... comment please? http://www.fibsboard.com/dorbel-versus-bushsucks-game-three-p75

Main Menu

timezone info

Started by alef, April 23, 2004, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alef

With the huge increase in FIBS tournaments, there's definitely a need for more help with timezones. Would this be easy to add alongside the country info?

Thought I'd make the request following burper's comment on adding it to his FibsCompanion:
http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showtop...st=0&#entry1755

Thanks!

cthulhu

There's no possibility to add more information that is not part of FIBS. Why is the timezone interesting anyway?  

alef

QuoteThere's no possibility to add more information that is not part of FIBS.

Oh well. But does that mean the gender, country and client info are part of FIBS?

QuoteWhy is the timezone interesting anyway?

Because there are a large number of tournaments happening that require players to arrange times to meet up.

burper

Right, I looked at this and there is no place in the current profile protocol to put it, except maybe the name field. Maybe I can steal the last character of the name field and use that?

The other way I can do it is to send the data out-of-band between two users if they have the campanion running. This is the way I plan on doing it for now.

cthulhu

QuoteThere's no possibility to add more information that is not part of FIBS.

Oh well. But does that mean the gender, country and client info are part of FIBS?

No, they are not part of FIBS. What I meant was information that the FIBS server can't supply itself. The information you listed is user edited and is not available when the player is offline.

QuoteWhy is the timezone interesting anyway?

Because there are a large number of tournaments happening that require players to arrange times to meet.

Just because players know the timezones doesn't mean they know when their opponent can play. Besides, you would only be able to see the timezone info when the person is online so it's really unimportant information. It's better to register information when you are able to play somewhere else, like in tourneybot. I.e. players can register when they can play and opponents can ask the bot when a certain player is available.

cthulhu

QuoteRight, I looked at this and there is no place in the current profile protocol to put it, except maybe the name field. Maybe I can steal the last character of the name field and use that?

The other way I can do it is to send the data out-of-band between two users if they have the campanion running. This is the way I plan on doing it for now.
I'd appreciate if you use the latter and don't mess up the PPP.  

snowflake

it's easier to figure out when you can play in FIBS time - just type "time" at the command line, and then arrange for an opponent to play at a given FIBS time ...

diane

Well that was working just fine - until FIBS went an hour and a bit out - now i havent got a clue what i am doing  :wacko:

So may be going for the old 'starts in a bit' approach  :)  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Matty

How about my suggestion that everyone simply works in UTC time? Converting time zones really really seems to confuse some people. Take the maths out of it and there is much less confusion!

http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showtopic=308&st=0&#entry1750

FIBS Board -> Leagues and tournaments -> FIBS postcard tournaments - > Time Zones for playing Tournament Games, Lets stick to one timezone - UTC!

Dutchie

QuoteHow about my suggestion that everyone simply works in UTC time? Converting time zones really really seems to confuse some people. Take the maths out of it and there is much less confusion!
That would work. I guess... if fibs showed UTC correctly, instead of being about an hour off. That just leads to more confusion...