News:

new backgammon problem in backgammon articles  (under the shoutbox on the right of the Front page) http://www.fibsboard.com/gnubg-gammonline-html-output-test-p78
thx zorba

Main Menu

what is GNU's plan?

Started by boop, October 31, 2011, 12:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boop

Hi again all

this one's got me confused and I imagine there's a concept that I haven't come across being used here by gnu.

my move of 24/23, 13/8 splits the back players, unstacks the midpoint and adds a builder ... gnu's move 24/18 looks to fight for the bar point or make contact but he's got very little ammunition and only a slightly developed home board

so what am i missing?

:)

dorbel

One of the most useful guidelines that I know is neatly demonstrated here. Once your opponent has a high anchor, you have to go after one yourself, immediately. Your play, very reasonable on the face of it is too half-hearted and         the bold 24-18 is much more like it. This serves a treble function. You may be able to excahange hits there, thus taking advantage of your stronger board, you may be able to make it if the opponent can´t hit or you may be able to make the 20 or 21pt from the bar. Tough play to find. At one time, pre-bot, a lot of people made this play with a 5-1 and as demonstrated here, it still has its uses.
All this assumes that Gnu´s play is right of course. I think it is, but you should really roll it out.

boop

thanks Dorbel, another rule, I love rules - then I don't have to think too much - especially when it's unfathomable anyway.

I must remember to do more rollouts - I do them sometimes but gnu doesn't give me a concept with the result, so I'd still probably ask here  :)

stuatt

thanks dorbel for this rule sharing with us.............
i really happy to learn from this rule............i am new on this site....and finding useful posts as my need.......
thanks,
signatures with advertising content are prohibited . Exceptions to this rule may be made if there is a prior arrangement with Fibsboard

Admin reserve the right to remove or alter any signatures deemed inappropriate."

ie if you want to advertise or promote please ask us first - we do charge for

dorbel

Nice to see this position still doing the rounds. I did roll this out and yes, 24/18 is clearly best. Not only is it best assuming perfect play by the other side, but it is also best because it gives White some rolls that she might misplay. If you stay back with 24/23, then she will find it easy to play 5-3, 5-1, 4-2 and 3-1 next turn. If you move to her bar, 24/18, these rolls are not immediately obvious  and she may well misplay any of them. Analysis assumes that she will play all of these correctly, so any time she makes a mistake with one of these is a bonus!