News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

Conversion problem

Started by paulie, March 16, 2014, 11:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

I have JavaFibs automagically convert .match files into Jellyfish files and this has worked perfectly in the past.  Last night, my last match with truckergirl was converted as usual, but for some reason,  GNUBg says the file is not in a recognizable format.  This is the first and only time I have seen this.  I went back into JavaFibs and manually converted the file and the same result obtained.  Now the .match file is gone!  Apparently, it deletes the .match file when manual conversion takes place, but leaves the file there when doing automatic conversion.  Just wondered if anyone else ever had this happen to them.  

The only anomaly I can think of is that the game began before midnight and finished after midnight.
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

dorbel

A break in connection can corrupt the file so that it isn't readable, not often, but it can happen.

NIHILIST

QuoteThe only anomaly I can think of is that the game began before midnight and finished after midnight.

It's called the CINDERELLA SYNDROME. Your match disappeared at midnight just as Cinderella's coach and horses did.

Try to finish your games earlier.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

vegasvic

The only anomaly I can think of is that your jokes are not funny Bob .  :geige:

ah_clem

Quote from: dorbel on March 17, 2014, 11:07:32 AM
A break in connection can corrupt the file so that it isn't readable, not often, but it can happen.

Yes, this used to happen to me quite often until I got some internet connectivity issues solved.  A break in the connection will sometimes corrrupt the .mat file, sometimes it doesn't. 

It is sometimes possible to open the corrupt file in a text editor and fix it by entering the missing moves, but this is a bit tedious.  When it happens to me now (rarely) I just move on - although I like to analyze every match and try to understand my errors, missing one match is not the end of the world.  Fortunately, there will always be plenty of errors to understand in the next match. (c:

paulie

Quote from: ah_clem on March 17, 2014, 03:32:47 PM
Yes, this used to happen to me quite often until I got some internet connectivity issues solved.  A break in the connection will sometimes corrrupt the .mat file, sometimes it doesn't.  

It is sometimes possible to open the corrupt file in a text editor and fix it by entering the missing moves, but this is a bit tedious.  When it happens to me now (rarely) I just move on - although I like to analyze every match and try to understand my errors, missing one match is not the end of the world.  Fortunately, there will always be plenty of errors to understand in the next match. (c:

Well, I don't remember disconnecting, by I believe truckergirl dropped connection early in the match... could that do it?

Oh, and it sounds like the files are not binary but consist of editable text?  I haven't ever tried looking at the files with notepad.
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

Tom

Quote from: paulie on March 17, 2014, 09:24:54 PM
Well, I don't remember disconnecting, by I believe truckergirl dropped connection early in the match... could that do it?

Oh, and it sounds like the files are not binary but consist of editable text?  I haven't ever tried looking at the files with notepad.

Yes it does not handle resume well...

Yes MAT files are flat text

tom

moonshadow

Its tedious and I've done it--even posted on it a few years back.

If there is a resume or dropped connection, the file will be corrupted. All the moves up to the dropped connection or resume are recorded in the corrupted file and you only need notepad (or Textedit for those that use Macs) to open the file and read those moves.

However, all moves after the dropped connection or resume are NOT recorded, so if you know you want to analyze that match later, then you must manually record those moves as you play (or copy and paste them) and then manually add those moves to the corrupted file.