News:

Subscribe to Fibsboard for just £5 a year - get a special badge! VIP Articles and Links and much more..ensure our future and earn real kudos with your friends and enemies alike! http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

the big freeze

Started by wanderer, June 16, 2003, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

I can no longer play offline against gnubg.  It will stop responding as soon as it loads the starting position.  I am running windows xp pro...and have had this problem from the first download.  My version of 3dfibs is 2.2.290 but when I check for the latest update it says the latest version is 2.2.288.  What to do?  
Thanks in advance!

wanderer

I think I fixed the problem.  I had set gnubg to 3 ply with 3 hints....but when I set them back to 0 ply with 0 hints it works fine.  Good enough for me.  Thanks.

tucsonAZ

QuoteI think I fixed the problem.  I had set gnubg to 3 ply with 3 hints....but when I set them back to 0 ply with 0 hints it works fine.  Good enough for me.  Thanks.
Hi,

I have just realized that the luck factor analysis need not be any higher than 0 ply and 2.2.291 has this correction. The check for new version has also been updated.  Now if you want to play at 2 ply with a slight pause, the luck factor analysis will not slow you down further.  I think 3 ply needs a very fast (2000+) machine to give results in less than 15 seconds

I wish there was a way to terminate a slow hint process with an ESC but unfortunately this is out of reach at the moment. Once the function is called in the gnubg.dll, I dont have any control. Even 2 ply hints which i sometimes use get annoyingly slow on my 266 machine. The best solution is probably to just save the matches as jf.mat and use the original gnubg program for match analysis. The newer versions of gnubg catch some errors that the 3dfibs version of the player make.

maareyes