News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

The Rating Championship 2005

Started by socksey, December 28, 2004, 03:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socksey

I am happy to announce the beginning of a new tournament to start on January 1, at 2300 UTC on Fibs.  There will be 3 group categories of player ratings.  These will be 1100-1500, 1501-1800, 1801-2200.   This single elimination tourney will be played using tourneybot on same day at one sitting.  Reputation limit will be set to 0 or better after 3-month test period.  

Group A, 1100-1500 will play 1 Jan 05, 1 pt matches, 3 pt finals, group B, 1501-1800, will play 1 Feb 05, 3 pt matches, 5 pt finals, group C, 1801-2200, 5 pt matches, 7 pt final, will play 1 Mar 05, and repeat so that each group plays 4 times per year.   Points will be cumulative for the year to determine winner of each category.

The first 3 months of this tournament will be considered a test period, however, scores accumulated will be added to the yearly score.  Only difference is that negative reputation players will be eliminated at the end of first 3 months.  Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Adamosad has devised this tournament and will be directing it with the help of gogogiz, myself, and perhaps some others yet to be determined.

Please join us and make this new tournament a success.   :)  

socksey

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end." - Margaret Thatcher

KDP

sign me up.  as of 12/17/04 im rated 1762.  thanks

socksey

Great, KDP!  You will be in my group, Group B (1500-1800 ratings), but you will need to be on FIBS to sign yourself up with tourneybot on February 1, at 2300 UTC, and play your game/s then.    ;)  

socksey

Is dancing cheek-to-cheek floor play? - anonymous

KDP

ok  so i tell tourneybot join....... what?

socksey

Be there and follow instructions in shout.  :D

socksey

"Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we
have rushed through life trying to save." - Will Rogers

adamosad

Hi there,

You can find the quick results for the first group here:
www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showtopic=758&hl=

For rules and accumulated points standings check:
http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/Rating_Championship_2005.htm

webrunner

Socksey, Do you want a seperate forum for this tournament, like i did for the inter-nation tournament? :huh:
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

adamosad

Thx webrunner for the seperate forum offer. It is very kind of u, but i think that it should stay in the fibsleagammon forum where it's situated today.  

This tourney is going to run only once a month so i don't think that a lot of discusion is going to be created, so a new forum may be useless.

In addition it's not very different from the other tourneys as the national one. This my opinion.  What's yours Socksey???

socksey

I think it is OK here.  Thx for the offer, webbie.   ;)

socksey

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."  - Walt Disney  

DirtyHarryII

Hi adamosad and others :-)

A theoretical question concerning the Rating Championship. Suppose I (for 1) has a rating say 1812 by febuary - then I can't play in B but have to play C - and come march I'm down at say 1750 then I can't play C - correct ? So in that case I won't get play in either, right ?

On the other hand if I'm at eg. 1798 in febuary I can play B, and come march I'm at eg. 1812 I can play C as well - correct ?

Just wondering.... :o
DirtyHarryII

adamosad

You are absolutely right Dirtyharry. In the first case you can't play in any group and in the second one, you can play in both two groups. This will happen only to people with average rating near to 1500 or near to 1800.

In addition, I have to tell u that, this is not a problem for the tourney, because each player will get his winning points for each group separately. For example, suppose that you are in the second case, so you can take part in both (b and c) groups. You win one match in group B and two matches in group C. Then you will take 2 points in group B and 4 points in group C. NOT 6 point in any one of the two groups. So there isnââ,¬â,,¢t any problem with multi-accounts.

You have to be careful for the first case. It is strongly recommended to take a look at your rating, one or two days before the starting day of each rating championship tourney, in order to satisfy the rating limits.  

adamosad

RCT new rule: If the tournament is delayed more than 30 min, it won't run that day but it will run the next day the same time!!!

magic_one

Are B and C also at 2300UTC?  Why 2300?

adamosad

This is a good question! I prefer that time because Rating Championship Tourney (RTC) runs every 1st of each month. So it can run the same time with other tourneys. For example this month and the last one it ran on Tuesdays. As you know bago runs the same time (from 21:00 utc) and before bago i usually work.... So this is a problem.

I'm thinking after the test period to change its structure so RCT will run a specific day and time.(i'm thinking about sundays at 15:00 utc). In addition i'm thinking instead of running it the first Sunday of each month for each group to run it all Sundays of that month for the specific group. So the plan for 3-months period will be like this: (e.g. for the period Jan to Mar) Jan: RCT for group A, Feb RCT for group B and Mar RCT for group C. All will run the same time and day. (e.g Every Sunday 15:00 utc)

Finally as there will be more tourneys for each group iââ,¬â,,¢m thinking to announce the results every three months instead of a year. So the winner of a group for 1 month will take the title of the champion for that 3-months period.

Please make comments about the two systems and tell me what you prefer!!!

Option 1: Run it every 1st of each month for each group at 23:00 utc and the final results will announce at the end of the current year (As it runs today)

Option 2: Run it at a specific day and time. The first month for group a, the second for group b and the third for group c. The final results will announce quarterly instead of yearly. (alternative choice)

For voting : http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showtopic=824&hl=

adamosad

I want to inform people that voting period will end on 15 Mar 2005.

In addition, the test-period will end on 1st April, so reputation limit will be set to 0 or better.

socksey

AND, tomorrow, 1 Mar 05, is the next tourney, for ratings 1801-2200 at 2300 UTC!  Hope we have a great turnout!

socksey

"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either." - Dick Cavett

adamosad

The voting period was over yesterday.

Option 1 Vs Option 2: 2-8

I will change the rules as soon as possible.

Thx all 10 players for voting!!!

adamosad

The rules have been changed!!!

The new RCT site is
http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/Rating_Championship.htm
without '2005'

adamosad

According to the new rules, RCT is going to run every Sunday at 15:00 utc and it will start on April 3. Group A will play all the month April, Group B all the month May and Group C all the month June.

I hope a lot of players will rating 1100-1500 will join the tourney on April 3   :D  

adamosad

RCT TDs are the following:

Group A (rating 1100-1500, running every Sunday of Jan,Apr,July & Oct at 15:00 utc)
TartanAxDave, Adamosad
Group B (rating 1501-1800, running every Sunday of Feb,May,Aug & Nov at 15:00 utc)
Socksey, Gogogiz
Group C (rating 1801-2200, running every Sunday of Mar,June,Sep & Dec at 15:00 utc)
Amarganth, Adamosad

Welcome all :)