News:

new backgammon problem in backgammon articles  (under the shoutbox on the right of the Front page) http://www.fibsboard.com/gnubg-gammonline-html-output-test-p78
thx zorba

Main Menu

Weird

Started by drshosha, April 11, 2005, 04:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drshosha

Hi, this is so weird, I don't kow how to describe it. I used every other client to play on FIBS. Then, with JavaFibs 2001, everything worked well except, when I kibitiz or chat, my system freezes, dsl modem disconnects or a combination.

I've noticed this mouse/system freeze once or twice before when browsing a java heavy website. While at other times, my dsl modem disconnects coincidentitly when my cursor freezes, EVERY time I use JavaFibs 2001 and do anything more than play, like trying to chat or kibitz, it freezes my system on and off for about 6 seconds repeatedly.

Just thought I would post in case someone has an idea.

Thanks.

socksey

JavaFibs is a large program and I had slowing and freezing problems until I upgraded my computer.  You may be running too much on your system.

socksey

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." - Harry S. Truman x

drshosha

Thanks for the reply, I dont think its the program because I can use it fine with dial-up (living hell!). Its some weird problem between this DSL modem and how it works with java, in particular JavaFIBS, I think.

gammondude

i too had a problem with the javafibs.  after playing more than one game my whole computer would freeze up. ( i have a cable connection)  its a shame because there were several features of the client that i really liked, but for now its back to 3dfibs.  (not that there is anything wrong with that!  its user friendly and itself has several features which i really like, the trick would be to combine the best of the 2)

cthulhu

Wich version of the Java Runtime did you (drshosha, gammondude) use? I have had reports that JavaFIBS2001 doesn't work so well with Java 2 1.5.x on Windows XP. If you want to try to use it I suggest you (and everyone else on XP that wants to use JavaFIBS) download and install Java 2 1.4.2 from http://java.sun.com/ instead.

I don't know why this thing happens and since it seems to work for me on all Java versions on Windows XP I can't really dig into the problem.  

drshosha

I was on the sun.com site and they suggested using  5.0 version of the Java Runtime Environment from java.com. I tried it and same thing. So, I went back to sun.com and I will try Java 2 1.4.2.

In my case, I can play except when I chat or kibitz, then my DSL moden disconnects and system begins to freeze for about 6 seconds over and over.

Because I have no problems playing, chatting or kibitzing when using dial-up, I have to think that the DSL moden firmware or something is invloved however unlikely that is. It just too bizarre!  :) Any more ideas are welcome.

Addendum:  I tried Java 2 1.4.2 and same problem. The only thing I know for sure is that I can chat/kibitz etc using any other FIBS client but not with Fibs2001. With Fibs 2001, playing is perfect. So, its either a conflict with Fibs2001 and my system, or something weird with my modem and fibs2001 which makes even less sense.