News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Match1, Game 1, Move 8, Factotum

Started by blitzxz, April 13, 2009, 06:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blitzxz

lewscannon

Spoiler
16-13, 6-5. Damage control here. This is even uglier than black's last roll
[close]

diane

Spoiler
I cant see anything other than the 16-13, 6-5. Yuk, nothing to do but make the best of a rotten roll
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

lewscannon

Quote from: diane on April 13, 2009, 08:05:28 PM
Spoiler
I cant see anything other than the 16-13, 6-5. Yuk, nothing to do but make the best of a rotten roll
[close]

Diane's BG strategy is to see whatever I do and imitate it. :smile:. I am flattered.

diane

If only I could imitate the rolling, I would be laughing.... :laugh: :laugh:

dropper

So we're all commenting on Factotum's move?
Spoiler
Clearly 16-13, 6-5. But I disagree about it being an ugly roll. It's the position that is ugly and this roll is somewhat useful, safety one blot and then able to slot our crucial 5pt and unstack the nightmare on our 6pt. Plenty of worse rolls...
[close]
The fibster formerly known as alef.

PersianLord

Spoiler
Am I the only aggressive *rick here choosing the bold 6/3-6/5?! Duplicating his 4s, unstacking our 6-pt even more and hoping to make an anchor in his outer board in case of missing to hit us and above all, expressing utmost respect to the high levels of testosterone in our noble blood.
[close]

Fortes fortuna iuvat

The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

socksey

I have to go with lews on this one, too.   ;)  He has such cute dimples!   :wub:

socksey

"The United States goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is a well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. If the United States took up all foreign affairs, it would become entangled in all the wars of interest and intrigue, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. She might become the dictatress of the world. She would be no longer the ruler of her own soul." â€" President John Quincy Adams

lewscannon

Quote from: dropper on April 14, 2009, 09:21:34 AM
Spoiler
Clearly 16-13, 6-5. But I disagree about it being an ugly roll. It's the position that is ugly and this roll is somewhat useful, safety one blot and then able to slot our crucial 5pt and unstack the nightmare on our 6pt. Plenty of worse rolls...
[close]

Beauty is in the eye of the beroller *ducks*

diane

Quote from: dropper on April 14, 2009, 09:21:34 AM
Spoiler
[close]

I think that is why I wanted to cube last roll  ;)

factotum

My blot on the 20pt has to stay there, and I must leave another one besides.   My play is 16-13, 6-5.  I'm leaving the extra blot where it will do the most good if its not hit.

factotum

btw, regarding PL's suggestion 6-5, 6-3.   Leaving 3 blots instead of 2 makes a big difference in this position.  I am already expecting to get hit with almost any 1 2 3 or 4, meaning I'll have to use 1/2 of my next roll to enter.  And I might get hit twice.  I'm just too vulnerable here to leave a 3rd blot without a good reason, and 6-3 is not a good enough.

Zorba

Spoiler
Quote from: PersianLord on April 14, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Am I the only aggressive *rick here choosing the bold 6/3-6/5?! Duplicating his 4s, unstacking our 6-pt even more and hoping to make an anchor in his outer board in case of missing to hit us

I'd agree that the blot on 16 is not in much danger here, after 6/5. With fours, we'd hit 24/20*. Only 2-2 is an extra shot number.
Also, unstacking the candlestick on fact's sixpoint is a good idea in itself. It could help in a blitz/attack vs. our backchecker.

However, the value of unstacking with 6/3 is limited. It creates what some call a "dilly-builder" I believe. The builder will only be able to move with ones and twos, and then it will make either deep point, with the 4pt still open. Also, we have to cover the 5pt slot first, before we can really use it.

Besides, not playing 16/13 adds sevens (that don't already contain a four!) to our hitting numbers, which is still 4 extra hits for us. And, 16/13 cleans up a blot, which can be very useful if a blot-hitting contest ensues.

The value of leaving the blot on 16 to make an outfield point later for factotum, seems limited here, as the point probably has to go quickly. There's not much timing left to sit on it for a while. Cleaning u the point could prove to be awkward, and it mght be better to run the backcheckers to safety one-by-one. 16/13 makes a start with that.

So, I think 6/3 6/5 is still a bit too risky, given it's probably just a slight gain when things go well.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

Zorba

1. Cubeful 4-ply    16/13 6/5                    Eq.:  -0,1156
        48,57  14,19   0,53 -  51,43  19,84   0,44
        4-ply cubeful prune
    2. Cubeful 4-ply    6/5 6/3                      Eq.:  -0,2327 ( -0,1171)
        45,55  15,32   0,65 -  54,45  25,73   1,07
        4-ply cubeful prune

Interesting here is that 6/5 6/3 manages to win more gammons, even when winning less games overall. So yeah, it's definitely an aggressive play. It just loses too often.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill