News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2014 cheers! MAffi diane Tom Zorba  Sixty_something Linus & Aviator

Main Menu

Saving Resumed Games

Started by lotsoblots, September 03, 2006, 03:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsoblots

Hello.  It would appear that JavaFIBS only rarely will properly save a resumed game to disk.  As a result, there is no way to convert and analyze the match later.  Since the save game button is also broken (giving a java exception whenever it's used), is there a known workaround for this or a way to request a game record from fibs?  Thanks!

--frank

diane

I find javafibs almost always saves a resumed game properly, and only once in a while drops one.  The match looks a little different in the list - it is just <Opponent>.match - rather than the format You_vs_Opponent.match.  It is exactly the same from a converting and analysing point of view though. Have you found something different to this?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

lotsoblots

That is what I have found, except that the match file is usually (almost always) incomplete and the resulting converted file is empty.  I would say I've had probably 15 resumed matches and only 2 have properly saved. :(

lotsoblots

I might add that it's extra unfortunate because I like to post all my games online. :)

http://fejes.net/frank/backgammon/match_listing.php

diane

As I say - that does work with the javafibs I have installed, so either there is a fault with the newer version - I havent upgraded yet - or the original download you have isnt correctly installed.  I have seen this a few times - it seems it will install without all the features working properly.  An uninstall and reinstall can help that - but watch out for losing your statistics....assuming you also use that side of this client.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

lotsoblots

Thanks, but that's not it.  I'm running the application on 3 separate machines under 2 different operating systems and the problem occurs in each environment.  Thanks, though.  It's not the end of the world...any additional incentive to write my own client is probably a good thing.

spielberg

Which version of Java are you running JavaFibs under? (Just an idea that occured to me)

lotsoblots

I doubt version would matter in this case, but I use 1.5.0 and, lately 1.6.0b2.  I've also attempted the old 1.4.2 version just so that I can say I've tried it when people here ask. ;)

On a related note, is javafibs supported any more?  I emailed the author a while back (regarding the gtk+ look and feel) and never heard back.

RobertFontaine

I have the same problem with resumed matches and always have with javafibs.
When a match is resumed:

The file is either corrupt  - out of place moves that need hacking in the text file
or the previous data is has been overwritten and the match only includes the final piece of the resumed match.

I have always found this disappointing but you get what you pay for.

If anyone is aware of a fix or workaround I would be happy to hear it please???

Thanks,
Robert