News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

EXTREME GAMMON 2

Started by garp_02, March 03, 2013, 05:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garp_02

Anyone using this?

I've downloaded the trial version and am pretty impressed. I had Gnu but moved to Windows 8 and it doesn't seem to work properly.

Extreme seems to have all the features and more and has a pretty good record from what I can see. I just want to use it to learn and do some analysis of my play, but would be interested in what some of the experts think.

Cheers,

Garpy

vegasvic

get a  mac ,or use XG gammon. but then again i am sure its all greek to you :))

edit removed unnecessary expletive -- admin
please do reread /preview and self edit your own posts!
(click modify top right of individual post title to edit)

ah_clem

Quote from: garp_02 on March 03, 2013, 05:45:21 PM
Anyone using this?

I've downloaded the trial version and am pretty impressed. I had Gnu but moved to Windows 8 and it doesn't seem to work properly.

Extreme seems to have all the features and more and has a pretty good record from what I can see. I just want to use it to learn and do some analysis of my play, but would be interested in what some of the experts think.

I made the switch to XG about a year ago and basically haven't looked back.  Definitely worth the $50.

It's faster and stronger than gnu, especially if you have a dual-core cpu - gnu's threading model doesn't allow it to utilize more than one cpu simultaneously while XG's does.  And XG Roller++ will analyze a position in a few seconds more accurately than gnu 2-ply rollout (which takes several minutes )

I put all my FIBS matches into the XG database and it gives me a running total of my progress (or lack thereof) - this is pretty painless, just a click "yes" to add the match once it's analyzed, and then there are numerous reports you can view.  gnu is probably more flexible in this regard since it uses a PostgreSQL database to store the data, which in theory allows you to build your own queries assuming you know SQL.  I'm quite conversant with SQL, but never could quite get gnu to do what I wanted, while with XG anybody can easily track their progress.

I don't mean to dump on gnu, but XG just does most things better.  Of course, I still keep gnu around and tend to use it for playing (as opposed to analyzing).  I think gnu looks better, and the look is more customizable, but XG is good enough in this regard.

boomslang

I also bought a copy of XG a few years ago (v1.21).

I hardly use it because I never could get used to the user interface of XG. It's the many settings/presets that makes it confusing for me. I also read that some people had problems with the database (data were imported twice), but those problems are probably solved by now.

On the plus side, I did notice that XG is faster than GNUbg in the sense that it needs less time to come to similar results.

Maybe I misunderstood ah_clem, but on my dual core Windows machine, I can set GNUbg to use both cores in parallel (but only for analyses and rollouts, I believe). See Settings | Options | Other | Eval Threads.

dorbel

XG2 is clearly the best bot available and it is now the industry standard. Speaking as a complete computer dummy, I am amazed that boomslang couldn't get to grips with it. Its user interface and database are superb. It is also maintained, supported and continually being improved. It is a Lexus to Gnu's Skoda. Good value for money.