News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

Future Of Quotebot And Jokebot

Started by tryout, September 25, 2005, 07:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

QuoteThis bot comes out of the blue not relating to Jack Sh____! Joke is funny when it is in context to somethign said in shouts , not just some freakin list you find ,
As opposed to just ranting endlessly about the living, the dead, the animate, the inanimate.... out of jokebot and you - guess which has the gag.... ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

adamosad

QuoteOverall , I dont mind them too much - in quiet periods - like when bonehead used to shout - it livens things up.  When things get hectic - a stupid row over nothing - it is nice to have a distraction.  What I do kind of object to - is the same as with bonehead - they interrupt tourney shouts - so - could they be 'taught' to respect tourney times - and say have a couple of hours off around Fridays3, MiniMatches and Bago - the three definite scheduled tourneys?  There may also be adamosads championship thingy - but I am not quite sure when that happens.  The jist being - we know when some tourneys are held - could the airtime be freed for those?
Rating Championship Tourneys run every Sunday at 15:00 utc. For more info look at Rating Championship Tourney

Please Tryout make your bots to respect Rating Championship too (from 15:00 utc to 17:00 utc) Thx

tryout

QuotePlease Tryout make your bots to respect Rating Championship too (from 15:00 utc to 17:00 utc) Thx
Done.

GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

vegasvic

:no:  

jonesyjt

I would suggest keeping the qoutes and jokes short.  Many of them flood the window, and I don't read the long ones.  I bet others would agree.

jonesyjt

socksey

I agree!  Short is best!   ;)

socksey

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself." - Chinese Proverb

desmo

Quotebot is harmless and usually brief.

Jokebot is inane.  If I could simply ignore it I would be ok but it is hard not to read occasionally and whenever I do it is not simply a mater of it not being funny and therefore neutral or harmless; it is downright dire.  My kids tell funnier jokes to the cat.
I should be able to ignore it but it puts me in a bad mood.  It is like being cornered in a pub by an amorous drunk who tells long involved jokes.  

Otherwise, I am a completley balanced and well informed observer and have no opinions on anything.

Desmo

diane

You're just jealous cos it is funnier than you  ;)  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

desmo

QuoteYou're just jealous cos it is funnier than you  ;)
It may well be funnier than me but you do not have a DesmoBot (thanks be to jayzes).
Hmmmmm thinks the power ..... the wimmin ..... the adoration .... the ratings ....
how do you become a bot anyway?

Desmo

souptree

I'd like to request a WeatherBot.  Also, we need more JokeBots in various other languages.  This English only thing is, like, totally racist.  Oh, and if there's any way to create a DealBot to let us know when Amazon has special discounts available, that would be great too.

Thanks for the great contributions!

P.S. Would a TimeBot be overkill?  I'm hungry.  Please write a RecipeBot.
[size=8]All We Are Saying Is Give Peas A Chance[/size]
[size=8]www.souptree.net/fibs/stfu.jpg
Trees don't grow on money either.
[/size]

resh_lakish

***coming soon eurobot it waffles in all official EU languages***

lewscannon

QuoteIt is like being cornered in a pub by an amorous drunk who tells long involved jokes.
Or Mookie telling his stories about the different feet he's fondled.

socksey

QuoteFirst, techically speaking you can connect any information feed to fibs in a 50 line script. So why do it? We got RSS and other push channels for that. Feeding information (jokes, news, advertisements, quotes, you name it) to fibs just because it can be done easily is a bad idea.

I'm wondering if the multiple bots may be causing the problem we are now having with TBot and Tourneybot?  If this could be the cause, I vote to kill them all.

I've had two nightmare Saturdays in a row now, having to switch manually after tourney sign up.  TBot made it through Mini-Matches but failed just after start-up in Bagolympics.  I won't be doing that indeffinatley.

socksey

"Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of husbands. Remember all men would be tyrants if they could." - Abigail Adams

souptree

LOL, you guys deleted my posting of a JokeBot joke???  What a joke.
[/size]

souptree

Do tell.  I can't wait to find out which genius moderator it was.
[/size]

webrunner

Soup, this forum is open for everybody.
Socksey and i dicided together that the joke was poor taste and not the kind of stuff we want here on this forum.

You can make your point without posting the joke can't you?
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

tryout

QuoteI'm wondering if the multiple bots may be causing the problem we are now having with TBot and Tourneybot?
Definitely not. Just because someone in, say, Portugal buys a new radio yours won't suddenly break or in any way be affected.

[size=8] [/size]

tryout

Btw, in case not everybody has noticed it: Quite some weeks ago I changed the appearance frequency of QuoteBot and JokeBot. They now come at the full hour with JokeBot instead of QuoteBot every 3 hours. This is a reduction of 33% and 66%, respectively, if anybody wants to know.   :D

[size=8] [/size]