News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

Team Tournament

Started by Tomawaky, October 05, 2008, 09:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

Another question in my mind.

Must I accept more than 3 players in a team.

If this is 3 only, then everybody will meet everybody else in the other team

If this is more (4 or 5 ..) the Team match is complete when we reach 9 single matches whatever who play, but a player will not be able to play with another, more than once in a session.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

PersianLord

Quote from: socksey on November 18, 2008, 12:05:33 AM
I thought the teams should have had some sort of even distribution/parameter of ratings in the past, so that a high rated team would not automatically run off with the championship.  Maybe a certain span allowable in each sub-division within a team, i.e., player 1 1500-1600, player 2 1601-1700, player 3 1701-1800 at the time of sign-up, to prevent some sort of ratings cheating going on.  I also think these ratings should be based on Fibs ratings and not Fibsleagammon ratings.

socksey

"The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin." - Mark Twain

Hi Socksey  :thumbsup:

This is exactly what I had in mind for weeks. Honestly I was about to post this last night, but I got engaged in a hot debate with inim and when that fruitless debate ended, I was dead tierd to post my suggestions.

I think this is a very rational suggestion. IMO, all of the tourneys and leagues are for fun & learning. Thus, if a team consists of players of various strenghts, the weaker will learn from the stronger and the stronger will have the pleasure of helping his/her teammate out and being a kinda tutor.

If there is no categorization based on rating, then I guess a given +1800 player will hardly accept a -1700 player in his/her team and will go for another player of his rank and this will end up having very strong teams versus very weak teams. Not much fun IMO.

Thus, I suggest recruiting formula based on a rating categorization.

I also think that sixty's point about the very time-consuming format of 3X3X5 makes sense. My suggestion is to have 4 players in each team, but each player to play against one of the players of other teams, not all of them, like the previous leagues. Match formats: 3/5/7/9.

To sum up:

1- Each team consists of 4 players

2- Each team should have 4 players from 4 different rating categories, i.e., one from the -1500 category to play the 3-pt matches, one from the 1500-1650 category to play the 5-pt matches, one from the 1650-1800 category to play the 7-pt matches and one from the +1800 category to play the 9-pt matches.

3- Since now a draw is possible, the rewards for results:

- 3 points for each win
- 2 points for each draw
- 1 point for each loss

I know my suggestion may seem a bit far-fetched, but I think a truely friendly sphere will be made using them :blush:

And again, thank you Frank for the time & enery you devoted to commence this project and good luck with whatever plan you put to work :thumbsup:

PS:

Another suggestion for rating categorization is to specify a range for the average rating of each team. For example, we can agree to make it 1600-1650. Thus, the average rating of each team should fall within this range, not higher, not lower.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

spielberg

I MUCH prefer the new "play all other team's members" so I'd vote for 3*3 , 5pts, and wouldn't allow more than three members in a team either, as this will lead to squabbling about which matches are TeamLeague ones.

Let's keep it simple also (know the KISS acronym anyone?) with no rules on ratings restrictions for team members - I see no need at all for such a rule.

GO Team Jewfucks! (subject to confirmation).

sixty_something

I like PersianLord's thoughtful suggestion and extention on socksey's idea, but agree with Steve to Keep It Stupid Spielburg, err - Simple Stupid ;)

Maybe we can experiment with different formats in the future. I'm for backing Tomawaky in whatever he thinks will work for the next TL season.
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

mradica

I am also for Keep It Simple principle, at least for the first session. Rather we have to concentrate for some advertising to attract all players who want to play. 3x3 5pts looks fine for me. Most players looking for some quick action on FIBS server and these 5 pointers could be nice answer. At first it almost guarantee to avoid droppers and add some more seriousness and excitement to match. Such competition must not be time consuming and with complicated rules, IMHO.
FibsLeaGammon have all infrastructure to host such tourney. Kudos to Tomawaky!! And thank you very much!  FIBS League runs by souptree was great and miss a lot on our BG site so such new team league will accomplish such a big whole. So everybody, please don't complicate with rules and other things, just find your teams and start new team league. Everything else could be changed in future. I will play definitely.

Tomawaky

Ok great ! :cool:
So I wait for the first team who will subscribe.  :s10: :eager: :jump: :veryhappy: :s49:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

stog

yes i agree - well done and thx - we will attempt to resurrect schigstogsedat

dorbel

I like 3 x 3 all 5 pointers.
I dont think that we need worry too much about trying to even out teams for skill by rating. It will make assembling a team quite hard and won't, IMO, improve the league.
I think that we need to sort out, BEFORE the kick-off, the contentious points that led to so much acrimony in the last team league. If we follow Fibs league rules then there should be no problems. I didn't like the "completion bonus".
I thought however that the innovation of play-offs, even though they didn't happen in the end, was a good one. Perhaps Franck can design this in when we know how many teams there will be. Two divisions if there are enough teams, with the top two teams in each division going into the play-offs should work well, just as it does in Fibsleague.
I wish this venture all the best.

Tomawaky

It's exactly what we do for the French Championship online and everybody find it great :thumbsup2:

socksey

Maybe if everyone could read French!   :lol:

socksey

"Don't people know that they don't have to heckle the president of the United States? That's what Congress is for." - Bob Hope

stog

schigstogsedat are defending their crown

hi - only 3matches vs each team
each player plays every other player ie/ vs another team we  play 9 matches  between us;) ie each plays 3 matches against each of the other team - all 5 point matches

:)

Tomawaky

Tomawaky

:cripple: All team accepted
:grouphug: Friends
:geige: Others
:s35: Chaters
:shakehands: in good Spirit
:devil: or Not
:beerdrinkers: For the Fun
:nr1: or seriously

But ..... DO NOT STAY ALONE :cry2:  FIND :help: Your TEAM and don't be afraid :s38:

sixty_something

way  :cool: invitation, Tomawaky

you covered all the bases with that one :thumbsup2: and :lol:
e-mail me

spielberg

I'm proud to announce the arrival of team Jewfucks who are kid_pantyhose, resh_lakish and me. You're unlikely to be reading this if you're a newbie but it will give me a web page to explain our name to the naive.

Please note team Jewfucks are all Jewish and are born to kibbitz with chutzpah.

Tomawaky what is happening about avatars for the team / players ? (If you think our name's offensive wait for the pictures!)

adz

i find it offensive, and unless you withdraw the word Jew, i certainly will not be entering.

spielberg

OK OK --- our name will be "27 f-u's and achoo"

sixty_something

e-mail me

spielberg

I am even prouder to announce the formation of team gooo who are:

Im_not_gimmeluck
resh_lakish
spielberg

Containing KNOWN liberals on both US coasts and a Brit who thinks he's European team gooo are here to mess with your minds (and lose with dignity).

Go team goooo

PS spoof me out of that one adz

sixty_something

Quote from: spielberg on November 24, 2008, 09:54:43 AM
spoof me out of that one

:lol: here's to the politically correct goooboys from a Texas goyboy :beerdrinkers:

e-mail me