News:

You can now show us where you live by placing a pin on the Google map in your profile.

Main Menu

Team Tournament

Started by Tomawaky, October 05, 2008, 09:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

Hello all,

I think about making a team league because other team tourneys have disappear and I think much players like to play that way. I wonder if some would be interested ?

I think about 2 formulas. Country Team with league qualification for each country to select the best players who will play for their nations. It would be in memory of the first and only bagolympic team which has seen the victory of France  :cool:

Or Team League in the spirit of what is done for the league with up and down for each session.

Last but not the least, I want to see motivation of the players in that topic to create such event. I don't want to work on it if there is no one interested.

Thanks for your answers or comments on that subject.

Tomawaky always at Fibs  :yes:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

PersianLord

Greetings Frank!

Frankly speaking, I would do my best to help you out in this exciting endeavor and I am sure there are many other fibsroids who will be thrilled hearing that a kinda TL is back. I never experienced the great joy of TL and am extremely eager now to participate in that.

As for the format, I think a bagolympic-style league is NOT the most suitable format, because there are many fibsroids who hardly can find competent compatriots to make a team. Thus, my suggestion is to run it like TL sessions. Also I suggest each team consisting of 4 players, so we can have draws as well. This way it would be more fun I think.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

PersianLord

I also suggest to send an official e-mail from your FLG address to all those friends playing at FLG and informing them of the coming TL. I bet at least half of them will be interested.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

myshlev

Hi Franck,
               I would be interested in playing in this new team league you are thinking of starting. I do not favor the bagolympic style because that by definition means that some people who want to play would be left out.

-Myshkin

adrian

Would be great to have a new Team League Tourney!    :cool:   Please Tomawaky, start one. I will join a team as the player who plays 5 pointers, I don't have time for more  :happy:    Either 3 , or 4 team members is ok, maybe if there are four will make it more interesting! Just pls don't make the sessions longer than, hmmmmmm, 30 days?

:applaus:
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Tomawaky

3 answers is a good start but not enough

I have worked on Team pages to manage league for another tourney and I think it would be easy to use it for a fibs Team League.

Format are as below
Team of 3 players
Matchs between all the players => 9 matches
Length = 5 Pts

We can change but I think it's quiete good...
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

DavidF

I'm in and if a newbie can respond, that shows you something.   B)

DavidF

dorbel

The team tournament that I ran did get players to form into national teams and with a bit of re-arranging we got 16 teams, including a Rest of the World team, Team Europe and USA "A" and "B". It was very much enjoyed by all, except possibly by the late Anakin who had to be disqualified for cheating (!) and Biggles who had to be excluded for failing to embrace the sporting and friendly ethos that we sought. Teams were selected by getting all interested players to vote for the players who they wanted on the team. It took a bit of work, but was almost as much fun as the actual play. There was then a league format (four leagues of four teams each) with the top two teams from each going forward to a knock out stage. A strong team from Finland crushed Great Britain in the final.
Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

adrian

Dorbel, that was a good tourament imo. I have only one problem , if there would be national teams: There are very few romanians who have the time/will to join it. Maybe me and another , about the third or fourth team member I am unsure.
Tomawaky, I think if you "spam" a little every day on fibs shouts about your (very welcome) idea, we will have more than 15 teams ready to play!  :thumbsup2:
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

PersianLord

I agree with ardian. Some fibsroids might well be unable of finding competent compatriots and playing for a "rest of the world" team is also discouraging to many, including me. Thus, let it run like the previous TL sessions and let the fibs nation choose their teammates.

And yes, Frank, we need more advertising. I suggested to mass mail the players of FLG, adrian came up with spamming in shouts. You might think of a better idea. But I do think there are MANY fibsroids, eager to join this new TL and MOST of them unaware of this topic, yet.

Regards

Kari_Grandi

I have to say, that dorbels tourney was the best, that I've participated so far (not only 'cause we won ;)). The feeling in that tourney was really good the whole time. Rooting for your teammates is whole lot stronger when your mates are from the same country.

I think, that another national team tourney would be good at this time. We have played a lot of normal team tourneys lately, so maybe there is a time and place for it now!?

stog

hi TL was good and our team would i think play again, if you can all put up with administrative hiccups. I thought souptree's site was great and the format was nearly right last time. If there was a good takeup - there could be eventually 2 leagues, and like tom's league if each team got a point for playing then there would be an incentive to play all matches

I'm not too bothered about the country thing; i certainly had no problems rooting for my team mates who weren't from my country! Some of us have reservations about "flags"(except the jolly roger) and the usual nonsense they encourage. Towns & counties -- ok

c'mon Liverpool c'mon Lancashire!

Tomawaky

Ok I will work on it and let you know when it would be ready to start it.

Tomawaky

adrian

I like the 3x3 /5ptr. proposal for Team league !

You all shuld look and perhaps comment about the rules posted at : http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/TEAMRules.htm

Tomawaky

You can add comment or team composition here at FB or in comment at the News

spielberg

I love the new format where every teammember plays every other teammember.

GO team Jewfucks!

sixty_something

i'm not sure about the new 3x3x5 format .. in the last Team League we had seventeen (17) teams with 9/7/5 point match positions resulting in 16 matches for each player by position .. if we had a similar number of teams with a 3x3x5 format the result would be 48 matches to complete the season for each player .. that just seems like way too many as it was a challenge completing only 16 .. of course, 17 teams could argueably be divided into two divisions reducing the total match count to 21 and 24 which is more reasonable, but changes the nature of the race .. in short, i really liked the old 9/7/5 match format, but i am open to an experiment with a different format and excited about the prospects of another FIBS Team League

on the subject of team names, spiel, while i find your team name humorous because i know you guys, i also find it somewhat offensive and outside the small circle of friends at FIBS even embarrassing .. i mean, drop the "s" and ask yourself how long it would take Patti to nuke a new nickname like that at FIBS? not long, imo, and Patti is no prude nor am i .. but i come from the perspective of having a grandson i'd like to introduce to FIBS someday .. so, i am torn between a desire for a PG-13 filter and the already XXX and uncontrollable content of shouts .. adding team names easily misconstrued as racist slurs, no matter how humorous, is treacherous ground, imo
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

I thought the teams should have had some sort of even distribution/parameter of ratings in the past, so that a high rated team would not automatically run off with the championship.  Maybe a certain span allowable in each sub-division within a team, i.e., player 1 1500-1600, player 2 1601-1700, player 3 1701-1800 at the time of sign-up, to prevent some sort of ratings cheating going on.  I also think these ratings should be based on Fibs ratings and not Fibsleagammon ratings.

socksey

"The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin." - Mark Twain

Tomawaky

Not for the first session but for the others we can think about a master Division and a Gold division in the same spirit of the individual league.
I run the 3*3*5pts Matche for a competition of the French federation of backgammon that I held on my site and this format is very interesting I think.