News:

Subscribe to Fibsboard for just £5 a year - get a special badge! VIP Articles and Links and much more..ensure our future and earn real kudos with your friends and enemies alike! http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Players List Incomplete

Started by Hardy_whv, October 16, 2005, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy_whv

Hi everyone,

it's a well known problem, that due to some timeout, FIBS usually does not report all players online, when the who commad is given. This leads to an incomplete players list, which is quite irritating.  :no:

Most experienced FIBSters know how to handle this problem, but I found no reference in the internet. I therfore produced a description, how to handle this problem for the interface JavaFIBS 2001 for future reference. This is avaiable both in English and in German.

I am happy for any comment, even on (possibly) poor english language or typos.

Thanks in advance,

Hardy  B)  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

socksey

Great job, Hardy!  I found no problem with typos (since I read them well anyway), nor with the English, either!  ;)

I had already implemented this process into my system, but this will be my reference to others who ask.  Thanks!   :cool:

socksey

Here's an example of bad English from someone who should know better, since English is his first language, presumably:
"My appetite is so good that I can eat the tablecloth right off the chair." - Joseph Moakley, Massachusetts representative  :lol:  

adamosad

Thx a lot Hardy.

I will save the 3 commands in my kibitz list of 3dfibs. After selecting them, I will switch from kibitz to command.

andreas_graf

Great job, einfach spitze!
Thanks
:cool:  
Andreas

KDP

for 3dfibs users this also can be done by clicking on the toolbar above the board: "player list" then "refresh"

Hardy_whv

Hi KDP,

Quotefor 3dfibs users this also can be done by clicking on the toolbar above the board: "player list" then "refresh"

the refresh-command there does the same as in JavaFIBS: sending another who-command to FIBS. As long as you do not change the FIBS-variable "sortwho", you will get an update of the same - incomplete - players list.

When you log in, have a look at the amont of players online. Then ask other players, how many players are displayed online at their interfaces. You will see, that you get a lot of different answers. Some of them indicating, that your list in 3dfisb is not complete.

Hardy  :wacko:  

Hardy_whv

Just double-checked it with 3dfibs .... So I have to correct my last posting:

By refreshing the 3dfibs players list by the menu-item "players list --> refresh", all already existing players are deleted from the list before. So even if you change the FIBS variable "sortwho" you will usually get an incomplete (!) players lists. Refreshing the players list therefore does not help at all.

Only by typing the commands

- set sortwho rating
- who
- set sortwho rrating
- who

you complete the players list.

Hardy   <_<

diane

Hmm, would that be worth trying for the other problem with 3d Fibs? - Which is that it seems to have more 'zombies'. than any other interface I have used. I have sat there inviting people on the displayed ready list  - but the response to as many as 3/4 of those invites is that the player is not currently logged in. (The longer your fibs session the worse this gets).   :wacko:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Hardy_whv

QuoteHmm, would that be worth trying for the other problem with 3d Fibs? - Which is that it seems to have more 'zombies' than any other interface I have used...

Yes, the refresh command will definetively delete all "Zombies", BUT the list will be incomlete. Just tested it an hour ago. More than 120 players online, but only around 80 displayed in the 3dfibs players list.

Some people say, the level of incompleteness depends on the speed of the internet connection. I have tested the effects both with a 56kB-modem and with DSL. I can't see a difference, as far as the players list is concerned.

Hardy  B)