News:

bookmark Fibsboard to the front page for all the News http://www.fibsboard.com

Main Menu

VOTE HERE FOR A NAME

Started by agerson, March 15, 2005, 12:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agerson

It is true that Fergy asked that I not use the name MacFIBS. Out of respect for him I would like to abide by his wishes. However, that does not entirely rule out MacFIBS X.

Here are my current thoughts on my favorite names.

MacFIBS X
What concerns me about this name is that Mac OS X (10) will one day in the not too distant future be Mac OS 11, making the name outdated or in need of a change. This logic applies to anything with 10 or X in it. It is also very close to what Fergy didn't want.

CocoaFIBS
Still near and dear to my heart. I like it the best and may stick with it obscure and all. For those of you that don't know "Cocoa" is a set of computer code standards used to develop Mac OS X applications. The problem is, no one knows that. However, it is a common name for Mac apps:
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.p...perPage=20&pg=2

(if you get that link into a browser then your good, ill just attach a screen shot)

AquaFIBS or DarwinFIBS are some other geeky mac x alternatives.

MacGammon
Cheesy but good

SheshBesh
Which is Turkish for Backgammon and literally means 6-5.

Prime is a cool name.

I will post a poll on http://www.fibsboard.com/. When voting please keep in mind that I do want to respect Fergy and I don't know how he feels about MacFIBS X, mostly because I don't have a current email for him. I don't know if using it is too close to what he didn't want or not. I am open to cool obscure backgammon references or just cool names. Apps like Fire (IM client), Halime (newsreader), Cocktail (system admin), or Konfabulator (JavaScript engine), who knows where they came from.

Adam

Bondy

Dude, prime is seriously awesome.  Now I'm going to be upset if it ends up with something else  :P  

cthulhu

Have you looked up the names so that no other backgammon program uses it? I have some vague memory that there already exists a MacGammon program for the Macs.  

jasonj

Macgammon

There it is... South Park MacGammon....

jasonj <---- listening to WIDR.org

Brianna

Darn. I registered and everything and it didn't let me vote!

I like MacFIBS - but if fergy says "no", honor him. No "X", since OS X will go away, as you said.

I am sure there used to be a standalone backgammon program called MacGammon, but I doubt it's been updated since I first saw it in 1988 or so, with MacOS 6.0, or whatever was current then...

I also think Prime is cool, but perhaps too obscure.

I think you should make it clear it's a Backgammon client, if not specifically a FIBS client, and so Macgammon is your best bet.

If you don't want to reuse that name, I vote for Prime.

- Brianna

webrunner

Brianna, you peeked at the results, that takes away your vote.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

agerson

esbailey

What about "FIBS Prime"?

-E

The Moon and Mars are the next frontiers...
I am doing my part to explore them...
Are you?

agerson

Now I am thinking Mac OS X FIBS is the way to go